We homo sapiens have been walking the earth for approximately 1.8million years. We walked to hunt, travel, play, to keep safe, and we thrived. Today we travel by car, train, bus, and bikes, but there is nothing as beneficial as walking.
Five Benefits of Walking:
1. It’s a great way to improve and maintain overall health
2. It reduces stress which clears your head
3. It helps your body by increasing your heart rate and reducing your waistline
4. It releases endorphins—your body’s natural ‘happy drug’
5. You sleep better!
Between now and the Fall, there are a number of Walks you can participate in and make a difference for a charity of your choice. The 16th Annual Walk the Walk for The Compass takes place in-person on Saturday September 17th.
Walk The Walk is The Compass’ signature fundraising event of the year. Through your participation, funds are raised to feed and provide support to more than 2,450 individuals experiencing homelessness and food insecurity right here in your community.
While there are so many reasons to participate in this event, here are some that we hope will prompt you to register for Walk the Walk:
- It’s a great way to contribute to people in need in your community
- Discover more of Port Credit on our well-signed Walk routes
- Enjoy the camaraderie and encouragement of your neighbours
- Find new partners to start/maintain your own walking regime
- Add your participation to the list of your accomplishments to feel proud of
Each year It’s a great day to walk and a great way to support The Compass. The Compass operates almost entirely by volunteer contribution with over 250 volunteers. This means 96% of your donations go straight to purchasing healthy and nutritional food, hygiene products and providing programs for those in need. In 2021, The Compass helped 717 children between the ages of newborn – 17 years old and 239 seniors aged 65 and older. The other 1,495 of your neighbours needing help were between the ages of 18 and 64.
Please consider registering to Walk The Walk with us on Saturday September 17th. You’ll be cheered on by your community. Enjoy the reward of knowing what you accomplished, for yourself and for your neighbours in need. You will sleep really well that night —and you may just decide to work walking into your daily regime with a friend or on your own.
For more information and to register: www.thecompass.ca/walk