ITEM DONATIONS ARE OVER PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ANY PHYSICAL DONATIONS. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A FINANCIAL DONATION YOU CAN DO SO BELOW!
The Winter Survival Program was created in 2018 in response to the increase in need as many noted an increase in our clients losing their homes. The program also ran in 2019 with increased numbers of clients needing the services. The program distributes survival kits and provides lots of warm clothes to the most vulnerable in our community.
As winter 2020 approaches, we look to prioritize the Winter Survival Program once more. This year we face a greater challenge due to the pandemic. A problem for one of us is a problem for us all; when we fail to clothe the naked or house the homeless, we fail at being ambassadors of Christ. While the solution to homelessness might be bigger than any one of us alone, together we make a difference in the lives of our neighbours. We have been given many gifts from God. Let us share these gifts with those around us who need them.
Help us give our Compass clients the best possible chance of making it through the season ahead. The winter survival program will give these individuals kits filled with necessities that help keep them warm and dry. Along with the winter survival kits, we also want to give our clients hope that the situations they are in aren’t permanent—that there is a brighter tomorrow.
How to Donate Items
We have set up a contactless donation system at the back of The Compass building (310 Lakeshore Rd W, Mississauga, ON L5H 1G8). Please drop off all items in the bin provided in the back of The Compass between Monday, October 26th, 2020 and Friday, October 30th, 2020. Physical donations will only be accepted between the 26th and 30th. The bin is checked multiple times a day and is available for 24/7 contactless donations. For larger donations please contact WinterSurvival@TheCompass.ca.
If you are unable to provide items for donation, please consider donating to our Winter Survival Program campaign on Canada Helps – https://www.canadahelps.org/en/dn/52991
You are welcome to donate through our Canada Helps platform at any time, though we aim for WSP kits to be made by early November. All monetary donations will be used to purchase the items below that are in demand for our homeless clients.
Most Needed Items
- Sleeping bags (Extreme Temperature preferred); New or Used in good condition
- Big hiking backpacks; New or Used in good condition
- Blankets; New or Used in good condition
- Warm socks; New or Used in good condition
- Sweaters; New or Used in good condition
- Jackets; New or Used in good condition
- Scarves: New or Used in good condition
- Mittens/gloves; New or Used in good condition
- Hats/Toques; New or Used in good condition
- Hand warmers; New
- Underwear/Undergarments; New
- Boots; New or Used in good condition
- Balaclavas; New
- Snow pants; New or Used in good condition
- Thermos; New or Used in good condition
- Flashlights; New or Used in good condition
- Insulated Foam Mats; New or Used in good condition
- Tarps (to sleep on); New or Used in good condition
If you have any ideas or comments please email us at WinterSurvival@TheCompass.ca