Recognizing the urgent need of our neighbours experiencing severe economic and social challenges, ten Christian churches in the Lorne Park / Clarkson area formed The Compass in 2002 to address this serious and growing concern within our South Mississauga community.
- The Compass market – a food market where qualifying customers can shop for no-cost food
- A listening ear, assistance in problems, referrals to other sources of support
- Language and computer training
- Social assistance inquiries
- Spiritual and emotional support
- Community events, meals, fellowship
We serve our South Mississauga community
We serve the area south of the Queen Elizabeth Way, bounded by Winston Churchill Boulevard, Brown’s Line and Lake Ontario (Postal codes L5E, L5G, L5H and L5J. This includes the communities of Clarkson, Lorne Park and Port Credit.
We Are Unique
The Compass is unique in our community in two important ways:
We are an outreach established by partnering Christian churches in the Clarkson-Lorne Park-Port Credit area including:
- Cawthra Park United Church
- Chartwell Baptist Church
- Christ Church United Church
- Church of St. Bride’s Anglican Clarkson
- Church of St. Mark Lutheran
- Clarkson Road Presbyterian Church
- ClearView Christian Reformed Church
- First United Church Port Credit
- Lorne Park Baptist Church
- Park Royal Bible Church
- Sheridan United Church
- St Andrew’s Memorial Presbyterian Church
- St. Christopher’s Catholic Church
- St. Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church
- St. Stephen’s-on-the-Hill United Church
- Trinity-St. Paul Anglican Church Port Credit
- WestEdge Community Church
- St. Dominics Catholic Church
How The Compass Is Run
- Its church partners
- Donations locally from individuals, groups and businesses
- Fundraising efforts in our community
- Occasional one-time grants for special purposes
Over 95% of our expenditures go towards supporting our programs and services for those in need.
The majority of the Compass’ food donations comes from churches, community organizations, businesses and individuals, and community and school food drives.
We are a member agency of the Mississauga Food Bank (MFB), distributing food to eligible individuals and families in our designated area. We also receive food supplies regularly from MFB. Through MFB we are also members of the Ontario Association of Food Banks and Food Banks Canada.
We are a volunteer-driven organization with two employees and over 250 volunteers who contribute over 15,000 hours per year to the Compass.
Our volunteer Board of Directors has overall responsibility for the Compass.
- Watch our video about the Compass.
- Read our most recent The Compass Annual Report 2016.
- Read our latest Compass Newsletter.
- Click on “Donate“ and “Volunteer Now“ buttons on the navigation bar above, to see opportunities for involvement.
- Contact us